Friday 3 April 2009

My love of John Barrowman and a review of Anything Goes

Now as some of you might know I quite like John Barrowman. For you who don't know who John Barrowman (besides a "shame on you!") I will tell you who he is, why I love him and I will review his autobiography "Anything Goes".

Who is John Barrowman?
Any of you who watch the made-of-awesome British science-fiction show Doctor Who (or the spin-off Torchwood) will know John Barrowman as " that guy who plays Captain Jack Harkness". Captain Jack is bit of a cheesy character, but that's why we love him.

John as Captain Jack

But John Barrowman did not start out as a television actor. In 1989 he became the leading man in the West End show "Anything Goes". After that he starred in many West End shows and the occasional Broadway show. He also judged on the UK tv shows "how do you solve a problem like Maria" and "any dream will do", where they searched for new musical stars.
One of the less fortunate acting jobs John took on was Shark Attack 3, which became rather infamous because of the line: "You know, I'm really wired. What do you say I take you home and eat your pussy?", which was supposed to be cut out, but they couldn't be bothered to.
He has also released two solo albums, Another Side and Music Music Music. Most of the songs are covers, of which I Am What I Am is my favourite.


Why I love John Barrowman
Well, take a look at him! He's hot! And gay!
This video should say it all:


Review of Anything Goes

The short version: Great for Barrowman-lovers and people who like the theatre.

The (somewhat) longer version:
Last Sunday I started reading Anythings Goes, the autobiography of John Barrowman (cowritten with his sister). I's about 250 pages long and has 19 chapters, each with the title of a musical song as title. The book starts out with him receiving the news he got the role of Captain Jack on Dr Who and then he starts out describing how he got that point. There are many stories from his childhood and about his family's move from Scotland to the USA. The story is (luckily) not completely linear and in most chapters he goes back to performances or family happenings in the past. He tells us great stories of how actors pull pranks on each other (during performances) and other behind-the-scene stories. Furthermore, he doesn't shy away from some of his failures (2 tv shows, a couple of musicals and of course Shark Attack 3), which I found to be a nice touch. He goes into depth about how certain roles changed him as a person Now I must say that I am not completely objective (no, I'm not kidding =P ), but I thought this was quite a good biography (never having read one before) and if you're into musicals I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the many behind-the-scenes stories.

Anything Goes

(That was probably the worst review of a book ever, I should not try to write reviews at 11pm)

No comments: